14 October 2008

The first

First post, never an easy one. So here we go. My name is Clarisse, Julia's mother, Michael's wife. I'm a Brazilian, married to an Australian, living in Namibia. Julia will be 11 months soon. Her first words are still to be understood, but they are already been said. Lots of dada-mama-papa, sometimes as a clear statement, others more as small chat.

There are three languages at home:
- Portuguese: my mother tongue, language I speak with Julia,
- English: Michael's language, the language we speak between ourselves, and Namibia's official language (although you might want to name what they say Namlish), and
- Oshivambo, one of the Namibian local languages, spoken by Maria, Julia's nanny. They are together everyday, so a big part of her awake time she is with Maria.

Both Michael and I work a lot from home, meaning we can eventually give her lunch or read a book during our working hours.

I have been reading a lot about how to raise a trilingual baby, and recently found interesting resources and blogs from families on a similar situation as ours. It's definitely exciting and I feel like embarking in this adventure that is to watch Julia's endeavours. Because I love action research, I decided to register her development in this blog. I am sure this will be something interesting for us as a family to revisite in the future, and maybe even to share with others (although I can't promise much on that side).

Of course I'm not English native speaker and I won't bother my husband asking him to review every post, so please bear with me.

So here we go...

No comments: