15 October 2008

Eyes-nose-mouth

For some time I've been teaching Julia "eyes, nose, mouth" (in Portuguese). As I say each word, I touch her face, then we touch my face, etc. Last week for the first time I asked her "where are mummy's eyes?", and she touched my nose. I thought oh well it was just a coincidence (that she touched one part of my face, even though the wrong one -- but we love any achievement, even if a bit wrong, isn't it?). But she kept doing it every time. Some days later, her dad asked where were his eyes (in English), and she did the same! Now when we ask she stops before touching our nose, and thinks a bit, but often touches the mouth or nose before the eyes. She does it right in the third attempt.

I recently realised she is really learning things pretty fast (oh so obvious but I suppose you know what I mean?), so I'm all the time trying to teach her new words and concepts. Yesterday during a nappy change she was clapping hands but suddently I asked her where is your foot? And she showed me her foot! As straightforward as that. Is it quite obvious for a 10-month baby and I'm a bit out to lunch? Maybe.

I always think Portuguese will be in disadvantage here, because English is the predominant language at home (and second I think it is Oshiwambo, between Julia and Maria). But I might be wrong.

2 comments:

Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

Hi Clarisse--welcome to the world of blogging about babies' acquisition of multiple languages! I'm eager to read more about Julia's progress, especially since she and Griffin are about the same age.

I'm curious about how you and your family ended up in Namibia and if your extended family (or even your hubby) has questioned why Julia will learn three languages. Oh, and if sometime you could give some examples of "Nambish," that would be cool to read.

Thanks for linking to my blog! I'll do the same.

PS: I love the title of your blog.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Clarisse.
I posted on your other blog in Portuguese.
As I said, I had an American professor in my Lingustics class at Unicamp who married an Egyptian and after some years in Egypt they moved to Brazil.
She used to say that children learn languages either by relating them to the person that speaks or to the environment in which it is spoken (ex: house or school). Children who are fluent in more than one language tend to mix them and there is no problem with that.
There is a very good and simple article for bilangual acquisition in Portuguese: http://www.bilinguismo.org/bilinguismo5.pdf
I hope it is useful!
Good luck with the adventure!